feelin' flaky

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Vintage Nursery Fun!

Don't you just love vintage & retro decor?

 I can't pinpoint the exact time, but a few years back I fell in love with old toys and art, and it's become a part of who I am.

The room that seems to attract the majority of vintage finds is the nursery


The crib was a hand-me-down from a lady in Boise, ID, and has traveled with us and housed each of our sweet babies. When we moved to San Antonio, I didn't want it to be the orangy brown wood finish that it was, so, I painted it this light gray with a hint of green.


The only thing I'm really disappointed in was my choice of wall colors... WAY too dark for a small room!
That's part of the learning process though, making mistakes and expanding my interior do's and dont's.

The changing table and rocking chair are vintage, from an Estate Sale in Toledo 4 years ago.


Isn't the lamp adorable?? A fave of mine! Found it in Toledo a few years ago while antiquing with my friend, Lindsay; she convinced me to make the purchase, so glad she did! Thanks Linz :)

The shade isn't original, snagged this burlap one from Target


You know the " Only buy what you love" decorating advice? Well, I've done my best to stick with that, and this print at Hobby Lobby was definitely a love! 
At the time of purchase, my son and daughter looked right about the ages of the two children, so it was special to me


On one of my many garage saling days, I saw an old board game for children, the box cover was so precious I had to have it to DIY into something for the kid's future nursery... and almost a year later, here it is


Etsy.com never ceases to amaze me! Any time I'm looking for a specific item, it almost always has what I'm looking for. 

Before Capri was born, I wanted a vintage crib mobile to go with the neutral colors, and this wood & metal, hand-painted piece was perfect... from the 1970's and mint condition at that!


Etsy.com, yet again. Wanted an old children's clock too  :)

The spotted Scottie in the background is from Hobby Lobby, thought he fitted right in with the old school style


My sister Amber loves to make pottery, and her piggy banks are her signature item. She made one for Jubalee when she was born, and made it a tradition for our growing family. These sweet piggies are Tremain and Capri's... already filling up with $$  :)

(If you would like to see more of Amber's work, click the link below)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Flynn-Day-Pottery

The metal letter signs are from Hobby Lobby - I love that store!


In the near future I think I'm going to tackle the walls and ceiling with a fresh, bright color of paint.  Of course I will post some pics when that project is finished.

Thanks for checking out the nursery, feel free to post a comment or two,

Happy decorating!  

No comments:

Post a Comment